Position: Communication and Marketing Intern
Job Type: Internship
Reports to: Manager, Communication
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Compensation: Unpaid. College credit, if applicable.
The Global FoodBanking Network is an international non-profit organization that nourishes the world’s hungry through uniting and advancing food banks in more than 30 countries. GFN focuses on combating hunger and preventing food waste by providing expertise, directing resources, sharing knowledge and developing connections that increase efficiency, ensure food safety and reach more people facing hunger. Last year, 943 GFN member food banks rescued over 500 million kilograms of food and grocery product and redirected it to feed 9.6 million people through a network of more than 55,000 social service and community-based organizations.
GFN is seeking a summer intern to support GFN’s communication efforts by assisting with gathering, producing and tracking content for a monthly newsletter and GFN social media. The intern must be able to work minimum 20 hours per week and make a 10-week commitment (possibility for extension). Schedule will be flexible based upon candidate’s school obligations.
Benefits to the Intern:
The Communications and Marketing Intern will gain real world insight into the nonprofit sector, global hunger relief and food security issues. In addition to the learning opportunities outlined in the internship description, the Communications Intern will gain marketable work experience, including hands-on communication strategy development, participation in event planning and strategic campaign building. Additionally, they will have the opportunity to participate in GFN’s unique culture and build valuable, nonprofit business contacts.
- Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage GFN’s social media presence by maintaining a social media calendar, curating engaging content, developing exciting social media campaigns and monitoring analytics and online traffic
- Develop copy for monthly newsletters, website and press releases
- Assist with maintaining and updating the GFN photo library
- Monitor media mentions and update media contact lists
- Undergraduate Junior or above, pursuing a degree in communication, journalism or marketing
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Experience using Facebook, Twitter or other social media tools in a professional setting
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, ability to work independently and manage time effectively
- Ability to learn new software quickly. Knowledge of WordPress, MailChimp, Sprout Social, Meltwater or Salesforce a plus
- Graphic design and knowledge of video editing software is desired, but not required
- Knowledge of Spanish is a plus, but not required
Please email two writing samples, a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
The Global FoodBanking Network embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Its goal is to attract, develop, and retain a talented, diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential. EOE